Grade Replacement Opportunity (GRO)
3/1/10: Amendments #2 and #3 are effective with the GRO filing dates for Fall 2011
regardless of Catalog.
Before applying for GRO, please read
Truth about GRO"
- Undergraduates who have not received a bachelor’s
degree from this University may repeat under the
Grade Replacement Opportunity (GRO), only once, certain courses in which
they received grades of C, D, or E.
- All undergraduates who have attempted fewer than 60 University Credits (i.e., units in residence at the UA)
at the time of application for GRO are eligible. Students with 60 or more attempted University Credits may retake
courses in accordance with the Course Repeat Policy but without use of the GRO.
- Graduate students are not eligible for GRO.
- The repeat GRO attempt department, course number, and grading type must be
identical to the first attempt.
- The use of GRO for Tier Two courses is
limited to courses with the same title and course number. GRO of
Tier One courses will be limited to courses with the same title (formerly
subtitle), although course prefixes and numbers may differ.
- The use of GRO to replace UA main campus courses with UA South
courses or vice versa, is limited to courses with a corresponding
course prefix (e.g., ANTH-UA main prefix, and ANTV-UA South prefix),
the same course number and title, and which have been determined to
be equivalent as indicated in the Catalog course description.
- "Credit by Exam", "Grade by Exam", "Individual Studies" courses,
"Correspondence" courses, "Success
Courses," and "Pass/Fail" courses cannot be taken under GRO.
Individual Studies is defined as courses with numbers ending in 91 (Preceptorship), 92 (directed research),
93 (internship), 94 (practicum), and 99 (independent study).
- A total of 3 courses, not to exceed a maximum of 10 semester hours, may
be repeated under GRO.
- A GRO repeated course grade
will replace only one previous grade. (Example: if a
course has been graded more than once, the GRO
repeated course grade will
replace only one of the graded courses.)
- Students must file a
request form in the Office of the Registrar, Administration Building, Room 210.
The request form is available only during GRO filing periods. See the exact
GRO Filing Deadlines
- The repeated attempt under
GRO is the grade used in the
calculation of the grade-point-average (GPA), even if lower than the first
attempt, except in the case of #10 below. Both grades earned in the first
and the GRO repeat attempts will remain on the academic record. If a student
passes the first attempt, but fails the repeat attempt, the failing grade
is calculated in the grade-point-average; however the units earned in the
first attempt may be applied toward degree requirements.
- GRO repeat attempt grades of O, W, WP,
WF, WO or XO will count as attempts, but will not
replace the grade in the first attempt.
- When the final grade for the GRO repeat attempt has been processed in the
Office of the Registrar, the cumulative grade-point-average will be adjusted.
Grades of I, K, and Y are not final grades.
- Total earned units (i.e., term and cumulative units) will
not be affected by GRO, but only the units for one attempt of a GRO-repeated course will be applied toward a degree program.
- University, college or department policies or certain circumstances may limit the option to use the Grade Replacement
Opportunity. Neither the department nor the Office of the Registrar is responsible for the loss of this opportunity
due to changes in course offerings, such as course cancellation, unit change, time change, etc.
- After filing the GRO form, it becomes the
to notify the
Office of the Registrar, Administration Bldg. Rm. 210, of ANY
CHANGE that may affect the
registration in the course being repeated.