Link to the University of Arizona Home Page Link to the UA 2011-12 Catalog Home Page

Academic Policies

Undergraduate Academic Standing, Progress, Probation and Disqualification

Jump down to:

Academic Progress
Minimum GPA for Continued Enrollment
Academic Probation
College Disqualification
University Disqualification

Good Standing

Good standing status denotes that a student is eligible to continue in or to return to the University.

Academic Progress

Undergraduate students will be considered to be making normal progress toward a degree if their cumulative grade-point-average (GPA) for all work attempted at the University of Arizona is not less than 2.000.

Minimum Grade-Point-Average (GPA) Required for Continued Enrollment

One of the requirements for undergraduates to be eligible to continue at the University is that they earn a minimum cumulative grade-point-average (GPA) of 2.000.

Related Topics:

Probation, Academic:

Undergraduate students not meeting the standards of normal progress will be placed on academic probation. Probation status occurs following any term (i.e., fall, winter, spring, summer) when the studentís cumulative grade-point-average (GPA) drops below a 2.000. Students on academic probation are subject to such restrictions with respect to courses and extracurricular activities as may be imposed by the academic dean of the college in which the student is enrolled. Contact your college dean's office for college-specific probation policies.  Students are removed from probation upon earning the minimum 2.000 cumulative GPA that is required by the University.

(See the Code of Conduct Policies Sanctions section for Disciplinary Probation information.)

College Disqualification:

Undergraduate disqualification is of two types: from a particular college in the University or from the University. A student may be academically disqualified only after two consecutive regular semesters of not meeting the standards of normal progress (cumulative grade-point-average of 2.000) or under conditions described below under "Probation or Disqualification by Special Action".  Contact your college dean's office regarding college disqualification policies.

The student recommended for disqualification from a particular college may seek immediate admission to another college in the University. Permission for admission to another college must be obtained in writing from the dean of the college into which the student plans to transfer. The letter of permission should be presented to the Office of the Registrar. Ordinarily, permission will be granted only if the student plans to pursue a modified program in a curriculum of the new college and has demonstrated ability warranting such action. Those who have been given college disqualification are strongly urged to seek thorough academic and career counseling and guidance. Failure to secure approval to transfer to another college in the University is tantamount to University disqualification, and the rules governing this type of disqualification then will apply. A disqualified student may not attend the University as a non-degree student.

A student disqualified from a particular college who may have secured subsequent permission to register in another college is automatically on academic probation in the new college. Students may be granted college disqualification only once in their academic career. Any later disqualification will be considered a University disqualification.

University Disqualification:

An undergraduate student who receives University disqualification is restricted from registering at the University of Arizona and may return to the University only on the basis of evidence that underlying conditions have materially improved and that he or she is now capable of academic success. Students seeking readmission who left the University on academic probation or under disqualification must receive approval from the dean of the college they wish to enter prior to readmission..

Probation or Disqualification by Special Action:

Upon recommendation of the dean of the college, an undergraduate may be placed on academic probation or may be disqualified at any time for neglect of academic work.

Credit Restrictions for Undergraduates With a University Disqualification:

Students who are under disqualification from the University may not take University of Arizona courses for credit or establish credit by examination during their periods of disqualification, although they may remove incomplete grades.



The official UA Seal UA Official Seal is present at the top of each Catalog page;
the arrowExternal Link identifies links that leave the official site.

External LinkAdvising Contacts | Registration Info | Schedule of Classes | UAccess Student | Search | UA Home

Graduate College | Law  | Medicine  | Pharmacy  | UA Outreach College | UA South | Contact

Page last updated:  February 27, 2013
Arizona Board of Regents © All rights reserved.
General Catalog
The University of Arizona External Link Curricular Affairs