Link to the University of Arizona Home Page

Academic Policies

Leaving the University

Jump down to:

Complete Withdrawal from the University
Medical Withdrawal
Retroactive Withdrawal
Dismissal from Courses or the University

Complete Withdrawal from the University

A complete withdrawal from the University is defined as leaving the University by dropping all classes after having paid registration fees. This option only applies to the Fall and Spring (regular) Semesters.  During the regular semester, students are allowed seven days to complete the withdrawal process after initiating the procedure in the Dean of Students Office; however, withdrawals can not be initiated after the last day of classes of any semester and must be completed before the beginning of the final examination period. If a student withdraws from all classes before the end of the fourth week of the semester, all classes are deleted from the student's permanent record for the term.  If a student withdraws from the University after the fourth week of classes and before the final exam period, the faculty member for each course may assign a grade of “WP” (withdrawal while passing) or “WF” (withdrawal while failing).  Grades for a complete withdrawal appear on the permanent record but are not included in the student’s grade average. Consult the External Link Withdrawal from the University section in the Schedule of Classes for detailed instructions, deadlines, and refund information.

Medical Withdrawal

Revised 5/4/09: change to the role of Campus Health in the medical withdrawal process

Withdrawals filed before the first deadline at the end of the fourth week of classes (Fall and Spring Semesters), result in cancellation of registration in all courses. Since there is no record of enrollment, the Medical Withdrawal is unnecessary.

Medical withdrawal after the tuition refund deadline (after the fourth week of classes), should be initiated with theExternal Link Campus Health Service. Adequate medical documentation from a licensed health care provider in support of the medical withdrawal must be submitted to Campus Health by the student. Procedures and instructions for completing a medical withdrawal may be obtained from theExternal LinkDean of Students Office.

A student requesting a retroactive medical withdrawal after the last day of classes must attach a signed Medical Withdrawal Form from the Campus Health Service to the petition for a retroactive withdrawal. Undergraduates must submit aExternal Link General Petition to the University Petition Committee, while graduate students must submit aExternal Link Graduate Petition to the Graduate College.

Exception: The University offers accelerated, professional and special degree programs that are sometimes supported by outside donors or organizations. Because of the nature of these programs, students may not be entitled to any refunds of tuition or fees, irrespective of the reason for the withdrawal. It is the student’s responsibility to know the terms and conditions of such accelerated or special programs in which they are enrolled.

Note: Students who withdraw from the University for medical reasons and who are medically encumbered must have their readmission approved by the Campus Health Service.

Retroactive Withdrawal

Under appropriate circumstances a student may petition for withdrawal after completion of classes for a term. If the student has experienced severe physical or psychological stress of such nature as to prevent satisfactory completion of course work in the semester or term in question, the student may petition for retroactive withdrawal for all courses taken that semester or term. This petition must be accompanied by adequate documentation and filed with the dean of the student's college.

Dismissal from Courses or from the University

Reprehensible conduct or failure to comply with university regulations may result in a student's dismissal from a course or from the University at any time. The Dean of Students Office is responsible for this procedure. Such action may be posted on the student's academic record. Students suspended from the University are denied student privileges during the period of suspension, and may not register for correspondence work except with permission of the dean of the college in which they have previously registered. They may not enroll in UA Outreach College courses, nor establish credit by examination during the period of suspension.

For further information about these policies contact yourExternal Link academic advisor or:

External Link Office of the Registrar
The University of Arizona
Administration Building, Room 210
Phone:  (520) 621-3113

Related Links:

The official UA Seal UA Official Seal is present at the top of each Catalog page;
the arrowExternal Link identifies links that leave the official site.

External LinkAdvising Contacts | Faculty Members | Registration Info | Schedule of Classes | Student Link | Search | UA Home

Graduate College | Law  | Medicine  | Pharmacy  | UA Outreach College | UA South | Contact

Page last updated:  May 14, 2010
Arizona Board of Regents © All rights reserved.
General Catalog
The University of Arizona External Link Office of the Registrar