Minimum Grade-Point Average Required

One of the requirements for students to be eligible to continue in the institution is that they earn minimum cumulative averages as follows:

Total units completed Minimum grade-point average
at UA and accepted in based upon University
transfer Credit at University of

Fewer than 14 units 1.750
From 14 through 26 units 1.840
27 or more units 2.000
Graduate students (any student registered
in the Graduate College), work carried for
graduate credit only 3.000

For scholarship requirements in the College of Law, see the Colleges section of this catalog.

Good Standing

Good standing status denotes that a student is eligible to continue in or to return to the University.

University Credit

University credit is the term used to identify all credit offered by The University of Arizona with the exception of correspondence credit and Special Examination for Credit. Only the grades of courses taken for University credit and by Special Examination for Grade are used in calculating the grade-point average.

Definition of Unit of Credit

Utilizing the definition that an hour of work is the equivalent of 50 minutes of class time (often called a contact hour) or 60 minutes of independent-study work, university policy requires at least 45 hours of work by each student for each unit of credit. Contact hours required for specific types of courses are as follows:

1. At least 15 contact hours of recitation, lecture, discussion, seminar, or colloquium, as well as a minimum of 30 hours of student homework are required for each unit of student credit.

2. Workshops require at least 15 through 45 contact hours and the appropriate number of homework hours to comprise a total of at least 45 hours of work for each unit of credit.

3. Studios require at least 30 contact hours and at least 15 hours of homework for each unit of credit.

4. Laboratory courses must maintain a minimum of 45 contact hours per unit of credit.

5. Field trips are to be counted hour-for-hour as laboratory meetings.

6. Each unit of internship or practicum must require a minimum of 45 hours of work.

Since it would be virtually impossible for a student to complete satisfactorily 45 hours of work in less than one week, the policy regarding the duration of courses maintains that a course must cover at least a one-week period for every unit of credit given. During the summer session, however, 6 units of credit might be given over a five-week period.

It is understood that, when the official university calendar deviates from these guidelines, that calendar shall prevail.

It is also understood that the hour requirements specified above represent minimums for average students and that considerable deviation in excess of these requirements may occur, particularly at the graduate level.


Honors students participate in a personalized educational setting that focuses on small classes, usually with no more than 15 students. Honors faculty emphasize the development of analytic abilities, verbal skills, writing, and problem solving. Course offerings include Honors seminars, colloquia, introductory departmental courses, and independent studies. Ample opportunities exist for personalized research and laboratory work. In addition, students can experience an exciting array of special offerings, a program of faculty-student dialogues; peer mentoring sessions for incoming freshman; study abroad opportunities; Honors Forum Luncheons; and summer research grants. In most instances, a student's experience culminates with the completion of an Honors Thesis during the senior year.

Participation in Honors affords students a number of special privileges. Honors students have extended library benefits, Honors computer labs, special Honors academic advising, and early registration for lower division students. For those who choose to live on campus, members of the Honors Center are eligible to reside in one of two residence halls reserved exclusively for Honors students (Yuma Hall and Yavapai Hall).

Admission to Honors is limited to students who have distinguished themselves academically. Incoming freshman must rank in the top 5% of their class or achieve a composite ACT score of 30 or a combined SAT score of 1300. Transfer students must have a cumulative 3.5 grade point average on a 4.0 scale.

Participation in Honors encourages students to extend the boundaries of their minds beyond the usual scope of university experience and to discover new facets of their talents and abilities. The Center provides opportunities which enhance the development of the "whole" person - that individual who is sensitive, humane, knowledgeable, inquisitive, and who seeks a clearer understanding of the past, present, and future. For additional information regarding this exciting program, contact the Honors Center, Slonaker House, 621-6901.


University Academic Honors

Honors are bestowed as recognition of outstanding academic achievement and as a means to further encourage sound scholarship. They are awarded to every undergraduate student attaining the required proficiency. For some awards, students also receive plaques and certificates. The University of Arizona supports academic achievement and is pleased to recognize and reward undergraduate students whose performance merits special attention.

Dean's List
(Policy updated June 26, 2003: clarification on how students are recognized by their primary college.)

Three categories are awarded every semester based on units completed for credit and letter grade (excluding all Pass/Fail and "S" grades). Also, all grades of "I" must be made up before the honor is bestowed.

1. Dean's List with Distinction is based on 15 units and a 4.000 grade-point average.

2. Dean's List is based on 15 units and a grade-point average of 3.500-3.999.

3. Honorable Mention is based on 12 units of 3.500 and above grade-point average.

Students awarded these academic honors are recognized by their primary college (i.e. the college of their first major or their first degree program), either at the Honors Convocation the following fall or through other means determined by the college.  This recognition becomes part of the official record and appears on the transcript.  

Academic Distinction

Two categories are awarded annually based on units completed for credit and letter grade (excluding all Pass/Fail and "S" grades). Also, all grades of "I" must be made up before the honor is bestowed.

1. Highest Academic Distinction is based on 30 units and a 4.000 grade-point average.

2. Academic Distinction is based on 30 units and a grade- point average of 3.500-3.999.

Students awarded these academic honors are recognized at the Honors Convocation the following fall. Those students with a 4.000 grade-point average receive plaques. Those students with a 3.500-3.999 grade-point average receive certificates.

Graduation with Academic Distinction
(Policy updated August 25, 2003: reference to graduates with the Juris Doctor Degree deleted per request of the College of Law.)

Three categories are awarded for superior scholarship in work leading to the bachelor's degree. This honor, based upon graduation grade-point average, becomes part of the official record, is awarded upon graduation and appears on the transcript and diploma of the recipient.

1. Summa Cum Laude is awarded to candidates whose grade-point average is 3.900 or higher.

2. Magna Cum Laude is awarded to candidates whose grade-point average is 3.700-3.899.

3. Cum Laude is awarded to candidates whose grade-point average is 3.5000-3.699.

To be eligible for distinction at graduation, bachelor's degree candidates must have completed at least 60 units in undergraduate residence at the University of Arizona, with letter grades that carry a grade-point value in a minimum of 45 units. Also, in computing the above grade-point averages, only work in residence is considered.

Graduation with Honors

Graduation with Honors is bestowed on students who have completed all requirements of the University-wide Honors Program. This academic recognition becomes part of the official record and is noted on the transcript and diploma of the recipient. Honors students also wear a special stole at graduation.

Other Awards and Honors

Other awards and honors in recognition of outstanding academic achievement are bestowed through the various colleges and departments. Also, colleges and departments offer participation in discipline-based honor societies and associations. Interested students should contact departmental and college advisors.


Academic Progress

Undergraduate students will be considered to be making normal progress toward a degree if their cumulative grade-point average for all work attempted at The University of Arizona is not less than 2.000.

Academic Warning Status

(Policy revised 2/10/06.  As of Fall 2006, Academic Warning is no longer in effect.  Students in all catalogs are subject to the Academic Probation policy stated in the 2006-07 Catalog:

Freshman students who have completed fewer than 14 units at the University with a University of Arizona cumulative grade-point average between 1.750 and 2.000, or who have completed from 14 through 26 units at the University with a University of Arizona cumulative grade-point average of between 1.840 and 2.000 will be on academic warning status. Academic warning status invokes no academic penalties and will not be indicated on the student's permanent record. This status serves as a warning to students beginning their college careers that their performance is below the level required for successful completion of an academic program. Students in this status are strongly urged to seek academic counseling.


Students not meeting the standards of normal progress or academic warning status will be on probation. Students on probation are subject to such restrictions with respect to courses and extracurricular activities as may be imposed by the academic dean of the college in which the student is enrolled. Students are removed from probation upon earning the minimum cumulative grade-point average required by the table listed under "Minimum Grade-Point Average Required" above.


Disqualification is of two types: from a particular college in the University or from the University. A student may be academically disqualified only after two consecutive regular semesters of not meeting the standards of normal progress (cumulative grade-point average of 2.0) or academic warning status; or under conditions described below under "Probation or Disqualification by Special Action".

The student recommended for disqualification from a particular college may seek immediate admission to another college in the University. Permission for admission to another college must be obtained in writing from the dean of the college into which the student plans to transfer. The letter of permission should be presented to the Office of the Registrar. Ordinarily permission will be granted only if the student plans to pursue a modified program in a curriculum of the new college and has demonstrated ability warranting such action. Those who have been given college disqualification are strongly urged to seek thorough academic and vocational counseling and guidance. Failure to secure approval to transfer to another college in the University is tantamount to university disqualification and the rules governing this type of disqualification then will apply. A disqualified student may not attend the University as a nondegree student.

A student disqualified from a particular college who may have secured subsequent permission to register in another college is automatically on scholastic probation in the new college. A student may be granted college disqualification only once in his or her academic career. Any later disqualification will be considered a university disqualification.

University Disqualification

A student who receives university disqualification is restricted from registering at The University of Arizona and may return to the University only on the basis of evidence that underlying conditions have materially improved and that he or she is now capable of academic success. Students seeking readmission who left the University on academic probation or under disqualification must receive approval from the dean of the college they wish to enter prior to readmission.

Probation or Disqualification by Special Action

Upon recommendation of the dean of the college, a student may be placed on scholastic probation or may be disqualified at any time for neglect of academic work.

Credit Restrictions for Students under University Disqualification

(Policy revised 9/11/06.  As of Fall 2006, there is no reference to correspondence enrollment.  Students in all catalogs are subject to the Academic Disqualification policy stated in the 2006-07 Catalog:

Students who are under disqualification from the University may not take University of Arizona courses for credit or establish credit by examination during their periods of disqualification, although they may remove incomplete grades. With the permission of the college dean concerned, students who have been disqualified from the University may register for correspondence enrollment.


To assist students in achieving course goals, faculty teaching undergraduate courses shall communicate the following information to students during the first week of class: the faculty member's name, office hours, office phone number, number of examinations and papers, grade and absence policy, and the materials needed for the class. In carrying out this requirement, faculty are strongly encouraged to distribute this information in writing through an information sheet or syllabus.


Maximum Units Allowed Per Semester

Approval of the college dean is required for any student to exceed the maximum number of units allowed per semester as indicated below. The semester load includes all work carried in residence as well as concurrent registration in correspondence, extension, or approved courses at other institutions.

Class Standing

College or School Units College or School Units

Agriculture 19 Engineering and Mines 19
Architecture 19 Graduate 16
Arts & Sciences 19 Health-Related Professions 19
Business & Public Admin. 19 Law 17
Education 19 Nursing 19
Pharmacy 19

Class Standing

Revised 2/28/07:  classification updated for College of Engineering.

Class standing in the various colleges and schools, based upon the number of units completed, is given in the table above. A student's class standing does not necessarily relate to the number of semesters or units required to complete degree requirements. Class standing is determined by the college in Medicine and Pharmacy.

College or School Freshman Sophomore Junior Senior

Agriculture 1-25 26-57 58-90 91+
Architecture 1-29 30-60 61-94 95+
Arts & Sciences 1-24 25-55 56-86 87+
B.S. in Geos. 1-27 28-62 63-97 98+
Bus. & Pub. Admin. 1-24 25-55 56-86 87+
Education - - 56-86 87+
Engineering & Mines 1-25 26-57 58-90 90+
Health-Related Professions - - 56-86 87+
Nursing - 33-67 68-101 102+

1st year 2nd year 3rd year

Law 1-30 31-58 59-85

Full-Time Student Status

Full-time status for an undergraduate student varies with the college and study program, but ordinarily requires a load of at least 12 units per semester. Full-time status for graduate students is more widely variable, depending upon assistantship or associateship duties and the composition of the individual student's program. Students in doubt about their standing should check with the dean of the college.


Students must declare a major by the beginning of their junior year. For information regarding the number of units required for junior status, see "Class Standing" in the Enrollment Policies section elsewhere in this section of the catalog.


The academic experience at the University will be affected by each student's personal situation, academic abilities, and continued persistence toward an academic major. The University cannot guarantee enrollment in some classes because of changing student interest and enrollment fluctuations. In addition, some departments and colleges limit the number of majors they admit each year. For these reasons the University cannot guarantee that each student will be able to complete requirements for the major of his or her first preference with in a specific time frame. Students who find a desired class closed should work with departmental faculty and advisors to explore alternative classes and academic options available at The University of Arizona.


Undergraduate students may petition the University Petitions Committee for relief if they believe they deserve redress or exception to university rules, regulations, or policies regarding academic affairs, such as extension of incomplete grade, choice of catalog and degree requirements. Petition forms may be obtained in the Office of the Registrar or from the college dean. The completed form with all relevant facts and supporting evidence is submitted to the college dean for recommendation and forwarding to the Office of the Registrar, after which it is forwarded to the University Petitions Committee for action. The decision of the University Petitions Committee is final.

Students may also petition for redress or exception to college policies or requirements. Petitions may address a change of program, approval for an overload, substitution of course work, transfer credit, modification in degree program, or in certain instances, eligibility for registration or enrollment in the college. The necessary forms, instructions and assistance may be obtained in the office of the college dean. The decision of the dean is final.

Graduate students should consult the Graduate College for information on submitting petitions.


The grading system used by The University of Arizona follows:

A* - Excellent
B* - Good
C* - Average
D* - Poor
E* - Failure
P - Passing (Special S/P and P/F grade)
F - Failure (Special P/F grade)
S - Superior (Special S/P grade)
I - Incomplete
K - Course in progress
W - Approved withdrawal
O - Audit
CR - Credit
*Included in calculation of the grade-point average.

All medical students are graded on a Superior/Pass basis for courses taken in the College of Medicine.

Regular and Special Grades

A,B,C,D, and E constitute the regular grades used at the University of Arizona. All individual studies courses and some small group courses with S (superior) and P (pass) use special grades which replace A and B grades. For explanation of these grades, see the Departments and Courses of Instruction.

For the grading systems available in honors individual studies courses (199H, 299H, 399H, 498H, and 499H), see the "Honors Center" in the Departments and Courses of Instruction section of this catalog.

Incomplete Grade:
(Policy updated May 26, 2004: circumstances when the “I” grade is not to be awarded; June 12, 2006:  circumstance for filing General Petition.)

The grade of I may be awarded only at the end of a term, when all but a minor portion of the course work has been satisfactorily completed. The grade of I is not to be awarded in place of a failing grade or when the student is expected to repeat the course; in such a case, a grade other than I must be assigned.  Students should make arrangements with the instructor to receive an incomplete grade before the end of the term.

Instructors are encouraged to use the External LinkReport of Incomplete Grade form as a contract with the student as to what course work must be completed by the student for the I grade to be removed and replaced with a grade. On the form, the instructor states:  (1) which assignments or exams should be completed and when; (2) how this work will be graded; and (3) how the student's course grade will be calculated. Both the instructor and student sign this agreement and both should retain copies.

After the course work is completed, the instructor should assign the appropriate grade on a Change of Grade form and submit it to the Office of the Registrar for processing. After processing, the new grade will be included in the calculation of the GPA.

If the incomplete grade is not removed by the instructor within one year (the last day of finals one year later), the I grade will convert to a failing grade. For undergraduate courses, the one-year limit may be extended for one additional year if, prior to converting to an E, the extension is approved by the instructor and the dean of the college in which the student is registered. This extension requires the instructor and dean's signature on a Petition for Extension of Course Work.  Notification of the dean's approval or denial is to be provided to the student by the dean's office.  A copy of the approved or denied Petition must then be forwarded from the dean's office to the Office of the Registrar, Administration 210, for appropriate processing.  Once the I has converted to an E, a one-year extension will only be considered if the student submits an appeal to the University General Petition Committee.  Additionally, a request for an extension of time beyond 2 academic years of the original course enrollment requires approval by the General Petition Committee.  For courses taken for graduate credit, such approval may be granted only by the Graduate College.

Course in Progress

The grade of K may be awarded by the instructor for 900-level courses when the course continues for longer than one semester. Students must re-enroll for these courses each semester. K grades remain on the student's permanent record until removed with a final grade but do not enter into the calculation of the grade-point average. Time-limit for completion of such work for full credit for the master's degree is six years; for the doctoral degree, ten years.

The grade of K is assigned for all supplementary registration (930) at the time of enrollment and will remain permanently on the student's academic record.

For any course, other than the 900 series, that requires more than one semester for completion, the grade of K is awarded by the Office of the Registrar at the end of the semester and carried to the next semester.

Withdrawal Grade

Students may withdraw from classes in accord with the following policies. Prior to the end of the fourth week of classes, official withdrawal (drop) of a course cancels the registration for the course; a dean's approval is not required. Weeks five through ten, the grade of W is awarded to students who are passing at the time of withdrawal; the grade of E may be awarded to students not passing at the time of withdrawal. Both grades show on the student's permanent record. After the tenth week of classes, the grade of W can be awarded only with the approval of the student's academic dean, and only under exceptional circumstances. For other regulations concerning withdrawal, see the section on "Change of Schedule." The W may also be awarded in the case of complete withdrawal from the University. See "Withdrawal" under Leaving the University.

Audit Grade

The grade of O is awarded for courses taken for audit. This grade is not awarded unless the student is registered for audit.

Averaging of Grades
(Policy updated 1/10/06)
Grade-Point-Average Calculation: Wording change to clarify calculation of cumulative GPA

For the purpose of computing grade-point averages, grade points are assigned to each grade as follows: A, 4 points for each semester unit; B, 3 points; C, 2 points; D, 1 point; and E, 0 points. The grade-point-average is the arithmetic mean of the grade points earned for all credits taken at the University of Arizona for University Credit or by Special Examination for Grade, where regular grades are awarded. Ordinarily cumulative GPAs are calculated using only the courses at the career level of the student. For example, the undergraduate GPA is based on undergraduate courses only (see Graduate Credit for Seniors, Grade Replacement Opportunity, and Academic Renewal for exceptions).

Change of Grade

Within one (1) year of the awarding of the grade, final grades may be changed by the instructor on a change-of-grade form, only if there has been an error in computation . The grade change must be approved by the head of the instructor's department.

Academic Renewal
(Policy updated 1/10/06)
Academic Renewal Policy: Wording change to clarify 2-year time period

Under certain circumstances, an undergraduate student may apply to the External Link Office of the Registrar for Academic Renewal. Academic renewal allows students to have grades for a particular period of time excluded from the grade-point-average (GPA). If the qualifications are met, the student may have a maximum of four consecutive semesters of course work disregarded in all calculations regarding academic standing, grade-point-average, and eligibility for graduation. If summer work is to be included in the work to be disregarded, a five-week summer term shall count as one-half semester.

A student must meet with an External Link academic advisor in his/her college dean’s office prior to submitting the application to the Office of the Registrar.

To qualify for Academic Renewal, the following conditions must be met:

  • At the time the request is filed, a minimum of five years shall have elapsed since the most recent course work to be disregarded was completed.
  • In the interval between the completion of the most recent course work to be disregarded and the filing of the request, the student shall have completed a minimum of 30 units of regularly graded course work at the University with a minimum grade-point-average of 2.500 on all work completed at the University in that interval.
  • If more than one semester or term is to be disregarded, these shall be consecutive, completed within any 24-month period, and with no intervening enrollments at the University. The maximum of 24 months may be extended by one semester, if the time period includes a semester of involuntary absence by reason of disqualification.

Students considering Academic Renewal for a semester or term in which necessary courses are disregarded, including those used in a certified Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC), should be aware that they are responsible for satisfying the degree requirements fulfilled by those courses.    To complete their degree requirements, students have the following options:

  • Repeat the same courses to fulfill the requirements;
  • Select different courses, with the college advisor’s approval, that do not apply toward another degree requirement;
  • For mathematics, foreign language and/or a specific science, establish proficiency with the completion of a higher level course;
  • For freshman composition, submit a portfolio of writing samples to the Writing Program coordinator for review and possible completion of this requirement.

If the student satisfies the conditions for Academic Renewal under this policy, the Office of the Registrar will annotate the student’s permanent academic record to indicate that no work taken during the disregarded semester(s) or term(s), even if satisfactory, may apply toward graduation. However, all work will remain on the record, ensuring a true and accurate academic history.

Academic Renewal may be effected only once during a student’s undergraduate academic career and is not available to students who have completed requirements for a bachelor’s degree.

Grade Appeal

<A student who feels that a grade has been unfairly awarded may appeal. Before a student begins the appeal process, s/he should make a serious effort to resolve the problem by discussing the concerns with the course instructor, stating the reasons for questioning the grade. If the instructor is a graduate student and this interview does not resolve the difficulty, the student should discuss the problem with the person in charge of the course.The grade appeal process per se begins with the student going to the college dean's office to receive direction and any requisite forms. The student must attest that s/he has informed the instructor that s/he intends to file a grade appeal. This step must be taken within the first five weeks of classes of the first regular semester after the semester or summer term in which the grade was awarded. Only in exceptional cases shall a grade appeal be processed during a summer session. The dean of the college in which the course was offered shall determine if the case is exceptional and warrants immediate review. The dean shall also have the authority to extend the deadlines for the steps in a grade appeal, but only in extraordinary circumstances shall the appeal process extend beyond the end of the first regular semester following the awarding of the grade without the consent of all parties involved. The dean's decision on whether or not the time constraints have been satisfied shall be final.

Having carefully formulated the nature of the appeal in writing, the student shall present the written appeal to the instructor. The student shall also present the written appeal to the department office for verification of the date of contact. These steps must also be taken within the first five weeks of classes of the first regular semester after the semester or summer terms in which the grade was awarded. If the instructor or the person in charge of the course is unavailable when the student initially attempts to make contact, the student shall request the department head or his or her representative to verify the date of contact. Within two weeks from the date of receipt of the student's written statement, the instructor and/or the person in charge of the course shall respond in writing, explaining the grading procedures and how the grade in question was determined as well as other issues raised in the student's statement.

If the instructor is not available during the two weeks following the date of contact or does not resolve the matter to the student's satisfaction within the two-week period, the student shall within one week thereafter appeal in writing to the head of the department through which the course was offered. After considering the student's written statement and the instructor's written statement, and after conferring with either or both as necessary, the department head shall inform the instructor and the student in writing whether or not he or she recommends a change in grade. If a change in grade is recommended, the instructor may refuse to accept the recommendation. The department head shall not have the authority to change the grade.

If the student wishes to pursue the matter further or if the department head does not act within the two-week period, the student shall within one week thereafter appeal in writing to the dean of the college concerned. The dean shall convene a committee to review the case. The committee shall consist of five members, one selected from the faculty of the department of the instructor concerned, two from the faculty of another closely related department or college, and two students provided by the student council of the college concerned. If the college does not have a student council, the ASUA shall appoint the student members, selecting full-time upper-division undergraduate students for a grade appeal by an undergraduate student or two full-time graduate students for a grade appeal by a graduate student. All student members must be in good academic standing.

Within the structure provided by the dean, the committee shall design its own rules of operation. The student and instructor shall represent themselves. The committee may, or may not, (a) meet separately with the student, the instructor, and the department head, (b) request each party to submit a brief written summary statement of the issues, and/or (c) interview other persons who have relevant information. The committee shall consider all aspects of the case pertaining to the grade determination in rendering its recommendation. If feasible, the committee should meet with the student and the instructor together in an attempt to resolve the differences. At the conclusion of its work, the committee shall make a written report containing its recommendations and provide copies to the student concerned, the instructor, the department head, and the dean.

The appointment, meeting, and recommendation of the committee and the final action of the dean shall be made within four weeks of the dean's receipt of the student's written appeal. Final action on the case shall be taken by the dean only after full consideration of the committee's recommendation. The dean shall have the authority to change the grade and the registrar shall accept the dean's judgment. The department head, the instructor, and the student shall be notified in writing of the outcome of the dean's judgment.

The student may request written verification of receipt of his or her letters of appeal from instructor, department head, and dean.

Summary of Grade Appeal Process

Step 1: Student informs instructor of his/her intent to file a grade appeal.

Step 2: Student obtains direction and any requisite forms from dean's office.

Step 3: Student submits written statement to course instructor and instructor's department.

Step 4: Instructor responds in writing to student's statement.

Step 5: Student submits written statement and instructor's written response to department head.

Step 6: Department head responds in writing to student and instructor.

Step 7: Student submits written statement, and written responses from the instructor and department head to college dean.

Step 8: College dean convenes committee which hears the grade appeal.

Step 9: Grade appeal committee provides copies of its recommendations to the student, instructor, department head, and college dean.

Step 10: College dean rules on the appeal and notifies the student, instructor, and department head, in writing of his/her ruling.

Maximum Time Table for Grade Appeal

Prior to week 5 Steps 1, 2, and 3

Prior to week 7 Step 4

Prior to week 8 Step 5

Prior to week 10 Step 6

Prior to week 11 Step 7

Prior to week 15 Steps 8, 9, and 10

Repeating a Course

Students wishing to repeat course work at The University of Arizona may elect one of the following options:

1. Establishment of Credit: Undergraduate students may repeat any course for which they have received an E or W. They may repeat this course as many times as necessary to establish credit, but may only be eligible for grade replacement once.

2. First and Second Attempt Averaging: Undergraduate students may repeat only once any course in which they have received original grades of C or D. Grade-point average will be computed by averaging grades earned in the first and second attempt. Original grades of A or B may not be repeated, except as specifically provided by departments on a course-by-course basis. Credit will be allowed only once unless the course is designated "repeatable for credit" by the department.

3. Grade Replacement:

(Policy updated 1/10/06)
Wording change to clarify individual studies

Undergraduates who have not received a bachelor's degree from the University may repeat only once courses in which they received grades of C, D, or E. Three courses not to exceed a maximum of 10 units may be replaced. Students must file a request in the Registrar's Office within the first four weeks of the semester or the first week of a summer term, Presession or Winter Session. Grades earned in the first and second attempt will remain on the academic record, but the grade earned in the second attempt will be used in the grade-point average, even if lower than the first attempt. Grades of (O) or (W) will count as an attempt, but will not replace the original grade. A repeated course will replace only one previous grade. Units earned will not be affected by this policy, but duplicate units cannot apply towards a degree program. Courses originally taken for Pass/Fail are not allowed to be repeated.

"Credit by Exam", "Grade by Exam", "Individual Studies" courses, "Correspondence" courses, and "Pass/Fail" courses cannot be taken under GRO. Individual Studies is defined as courses with numbers ending in 91 (Preceptorship), 93 (internship), 94 (practicum), and 99 (independent study).

Pass-Fail Option

For certain courses, a qualified student may elect to register under the pass-fail option. Under such registration, the only final grades available to the student are P (pass) or F (fail).

Undergraduate students may elect to take courses under the pass-fail option only after they have attained sophomore standing and only if they have earned grade-point averages of 2.000 or better.

Students registering for a course under the pass-fail option must meet the prerequisites or otherwise satisfy the instructor of their ability to take the course.

Undergraduate students may register under the pass-fail option for not more than two courses per semester up to a maximum of 12 courses. Further, they must carry a minimum of 12 units of regular grades other than P/F during each semester in which they elect courses under the pass-fail option. Any exceptions to this policy must be approved by the student's academic dean.

Courses taken under the pass-fail option must be electives only, and may not be used to fulfill major, minor, or other specified curriculum requirements.

The pass-fail option is not generally available to graduate students. The only exceptions to this proscription are: (a) admission deficiencies which the student has prior specific, written approval to take on a P/F basis (only the department head or the departmental graduate adviser may give such approval, which must be on file in the Graduate College office before registration); (b) any undergraduate nondeficiency course available for P/F grading; and (c) any course offered by the College of Law.

Each department decides which of its courses will be available under the pass-fail option. Pass-fail courses in the 500, 600, or 700 series may be offered only in law. Further, the instructor of the course must approve of its being offered pass-fail. The instructor shall be informed by the Registrar which students are enrolled under the pass-fail option.

Students may change from pass-fail enrollment to enrollment for a regular grade, or vice versa, only during the time period prior to the last day of the fourth calendar week during which classes are held, except with special permission of the student's college dean.

If a course is taken under the pass-fail option, the grade of P or F will be permanently recorded. However, neither grade will be included in the average. If the course is passed, the units of credit will be applied toward graduation.

COLLEGE OF MEDICINE - All courses in the College of Medicine are graded on a pass-fail system for medical students.

TEACHING AND TEACHER EDUCATION - Pass/fail grades are the only grades available for 493a and 493b. Enrollment in these courses will not reduce the amount for which a student can otherwise enroll under the pass-fail option.


General education programs provide breadth of knowledge as a balance and complement to the depth provided by the major. General education is designed to accomplish several goals: First, to afford students the opportunity to learn how different disciplines define, acquire and organize knowledge; second, to enhance understanding of the reciprocal influences of Western and non-Western cultures; third, to provide a basis for an examination of values; fourth to develop analytic, synthetic, linguistic and computational skills useful for lifelong learning; and finally, to provide a common foundation for wide-ranging dialogue with peers on issues of significance. Taken together, the experiences of general education encourage the student to develop a critical and inquiring attitude, an appreciation of complexity and ambiguity, a tolerance for and empathy with persons of different backgrounds or values and a deepened sense of one's own self. In short, the goal of the general education program is to prepare students to respond more fully and effectively to an increasingly complex world.

General education requirements vary across colleges and departments. However, all general education programs at The University of Arizona share a common structure. Each requires courses in basic skills and competencies, including freshman composition, as well as courses in particular areas, such as biological and physical sciences, arts and literature, social sciences, and traditions and cultures. For specific details on general education requirements, see the College and General Divisions section of this catalog. Also, students are advised to check with college and department offices for current lists of courses that meet general education requirements.


The University of Arizona has long regarded sound training in writing as indispensable to the academic development of an educated person; clear, intelligent writing is a skill required of all university graduates. First year Composition, the Upper-Division Writing-Proficiency Examination, and a writing-emphasis course are required of all students.

First-Year Composition
(Policy updated December 5, 2003:  added options for transfer students)

All students working toward degrees must meet the first-year composition requirement by completing one of the following sequences: ENGL 100-101-102, ENGL 101-102, ENGL 103H-104H, ENGL 106-107-108, ENGL 107-108, ENGL 109H. There is no exemption from the first-year composition requirement; any substitutes must be approved by the Director of Composition, Department of English. The first-year composition requirement may not be satisfied by correspondence work.

Placement in first-year composition takes into account the student's performance on two examinations: (1) A written placement essay administered at the time a student first registers for a course in composition, (2) the English section of the American College Test (ACT) or the verbal score on the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT). Both of these examinations require fees. Students with superior ratings based on the above examinations enroll initially in ENGL 103H; students whose scores indicate a need for more extensive instruction in writing initially enroll in ENGL 100 and pass this course before they enroll in ENGL 101. International students write a placement essay and submit a score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language. Students whose scores indicate a need for more extensive instruction in writing initially enroll in ENGL 106 and pass this course before they enroll in ENGL 107. Students who earn a score of 4 or 5 on the Advanced Placement Exam administered by the College Board, or a score of 5, 6, or 7 on the International Baccalaureate Examination have the option of enrolling in ENGL 109H and satisfying the requirement in one semester.

Transfer students who are admitted with 56 transferable units or who have earned a previous bachelor's degree from another institution may satisfy the English Composition requirement by submitting to the Writing Program coordinator, Modern Languages Building, Room 380, one of the following for consideration:

  1. A catalog course description or syllabus for 2 transferable composition/writing courses that do not fulfill another UA degree requirement.
  2. A portfolio of 3 - 4 writing samples (an adequate sample consists of 15 - 20 pages illustrating an analytical, argumentative, or critical response to a text) from courses completed at the transfer institution.
  3. A catalog course description for 1 transferable composition/writing course that is not used to satisfy another degree requirement, in addition to a portfolio of writing samples (see above).

Upon approval by the Writing Program coordinator of 2 transferable composition/writing courses or portfolio of writing samples, the first-year English Composition requirement will be satisfied.  All questions about first-year composition should be directed to:

Modern Languages 380
The University of Arizona
P.O. Box 210067
Tucson, AZ 85721-0067
Phone: (520) 621-5976

The Upper-Division Writing-Proficiency Examination

Every student must take the Upper-Division Writing-Proficiency Examination, which is a prerequisite to enrolling in a writing-emphasis course (see below). Students may take the exam after they have satisfied the first-year composition requirement and accumulated at least 40 but less than 75 credit hours toward their degree. Students who have accumulated more than 75 credit hours should take the Upper-Division Writing-Proficiency Examination as soon as possible. Students register for the exam with the University Composition Board (Modern Languages 380). Students must have taken the Upper-Division Writing-Proficiency Examination before their application for Bachelor's Degree Candidacy will be accepted.

The examination may be taken only once. Results are reported to students and to their major departments. Students who earn an evaluation of unsatisfactory on the exam usually are required by their department to complete further work in composition before registering for writing-emphasis courses. They should consult with their academic advisors for specific information about their department's requirements.

Writing-Emphasis Classes

Every undergraduate degree program includes at least one required writing-emphasis course. Writing-emphasis courses are regular junior or senior level courses in an academic discipline in which at least half the grade awarded is determined by written work appropriate to the academic discipline. Such courses are identified with the phrase "writing-emphasis course" at the end of the course description listed in the Departments and Courses of Instruction section of this catalog. Prerequisite to a writing-emphasis course is satisfactory performance on the Upper-Division Writing-Proficiency Examination or, in the case of students whose papers are evaluated as unsatisfactory on the examination, further developmental work in writing, as prescribed by an academic advisor.


Mathematics Readiness Test

Prior to taking any mathematics course below the level of 125b at The University of Arizona, students must take the math readiness test. The test is administered by the Testing Office in Old Main and the results are valid for one year. Students without university credit in the prerequisites for 116, 122, 117R, 117S, 118, 119, 121, 123, 124, 125a will be required to have an appropriate score on the math readiness test to be enrolled in those courses.


Mid-Semester Examinations

It is expected that all mid-semester examinations will occur during a regularly scheduled class period of the course. For those multiple-section courses in which it is impossible to offer mid-semester examinations during the regular class period, the following requirements for offering the examination at an alternate time must be met: (1) the course shall be identified in the schedule of classes as requiring combined hourly examinations at a time different from the regular class period; (2) the times at which combined hourly examinations will be given shall be listed in the schedule of classes; (3) the controlling academic dean shall approve such action in advance; and (4) students whose schedules conflict with the time scheduled for the combined examination shall be provided an alternate time for taking the examination.

Final Examinations

All courses offered for credit shall include a final examination given at the regularly scheduled examination time. No deviation from the exam schedule, once it is printed, is authorized. All forms of examinations (quizzes, take-homes, etc.) are prohibited on any scheduled class day during the week in which regularly scheduled final exams begin. Specific exceptions for certain courses may be granted by obtaining prior approval from the appropriate department and academic dean. Students shall be informed of any such exceptions prior to the end of the fourth week of classes.


Students may establish credit or proficiency in various disciplines under any of several modes. They are:

1. The Advanced Placement program administered by the College Board;

2. The Higher Level Examinations of the International Baccalaureate;

3. The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) (also administered by the College Board);

4. Departmental exemption or proficiency examinations;

5. Special examination for credit or grade.

In no case may the sum of credits earned through the above examinations and/or University of Arizona correspondence courses exceed 60 units applied toward an undergraduate degree. No graduate credit may be established in this manner.

Advanced Placement from High School

The Advanced Placement program recognizes that certain students are often able to complete college-level courses while attending high school. The College Board provides course descriptions and professional consultants to help schools establish college-level courses. The program administers and grades the examinations and sends the results to the students' prospective colleges.

Successful completion of these examinations, which are administered in the student's high school, entitles the student to be considered for advanced placement, granted college credit, or both, depending upon the area and the examination scores. Advanced placement without credit does not reduce the total units to be earned for the bachelor's degree, but allows the student to study at a higher level than otherwise possible. Advanced placement with credit reduces the units to be completed for a degree. Final decision regarding credit or placement is the prerogative of the department concerned. The three top scores on Advanced Placement examinations are 5, 4, and 3; in many cases, a placement score of at least 3 will suffice for advanced placement and credit.

No grades are recorded for courses credited through the Advanced Placement program.

University policy encourages prospective students to avail themselves of Advanced Placement programs, because successful achievement will substantially increase flexibility in future course selection.

The following is a list of the Advanced Placement examinations offered and their course equivalents at the university:

AP Exams & Grades UA Courses Credit


4 or 5 HIST 106 & 107 6 Units

1, 2 or 3 None None


None None


3, 4 or 5 ARH 117 & 118 6 Units

1, 2 None None


4 or 5 ECOL- lower division credit 8 Units

3 ECOL- lower division credit 4 Units

2 Placement by department None

1 None None


4 or 5 CHEM 103a-103b, 104a-104b 8 Units

3 CHEM 103a & 104a 4 Units

1 or 2 None None


3, 4 or 5 C SC- lower division credit or MIS 111 3 Units

1 or 2 None None


5 C SC 227 3 Units

3 or 4 C SC lower division credit 3 Units


4 or 5 ECON 201a 3 Units

1, 2 or 3 None None


4 or 5 ECON 201b 3 Units

1, 2 or 3 None None


4 or 5 Engl. Comp.1-lower division credit,
3 units; and 3 units, ENGL 267 6 Units

1, 2 or 3 None None


4 or 5 Engl. Comp.1-lower division credit 6 Units

1, 2 or 3 None None

1 A combination of AP composition credit and credit for English 109H with a grade of C or better satisfies the University freshman-composition requirement. Credit can be earned in either English Literature/Composition or English Language/Composition but not both.


4 or 5 HIST 101 & 102 6 Units

1, 2, 3 None None


5 FREN 201, 202, 305a-305b 14 Units

4 FREN 201, 202, 305a 11 Units

3 FREN 201, 202 8 Units

2 Proficiency met at 16-unit level None

1 None None


5 FREN 201, 202, 350, 401 14 Units

4 FREN 201, 202, 350 11 Units

3 FREN 201, 202 8 Units

2 Proficiency met a 16-unit level None

1 None None


5 GER 101, 102, 201, 202, 315a-315b 22 Units

3 or 4 GER 101, 102, 201, 202 16 Units

2 GER 101, 102 8 Units

1 None None



4 or 5 LAT 202 4 Units

3 Advanced Placement: Automatic

satisfaction of the foreign
language requirement None

1 or 2 None None


3, 4 or 5 MATH 125a or 123 3 Units

1 or 2 None None


3, 4 or 5 MATH 125a-125b 6 Units

2 MATH 125a 3 Units

1 None None


5 MUS 130a-130b 4 Units

4 MUS 130a 2 Units

3 MUS 107 3 Units

1 or 2 None None


5 MUS 120a-120b 6 Units

3 or 4 MUS 120a 3 Units

2 MUS 100 3 Units

1 None None


A maximum of 9 units can be earned by AP exams.


3, 4 or 5 POL 102 3 Units

1 or 2 None None


3, 4 or 5 POL 140 3 Units

1 or 2 None None


3, 4 or 5 PHYS 102a-102b 6 Units

1 or 2 None None

PHYSICS C - Electricity and Magnetism

4 or 5 PHYS 116 4 Units

1, 2 or 3 None None

Physics C - Mechanics

4 or 5 PHYS 110 4 Units

1, 2 or 3 None None


5 SPAN 201, 202, 301a-301b 14 Units

4 SPAN 201, 202, 301a 11 Units

3 SPAN 201, 202 8 Units

2 Proficiency met at 16-unit level None

1 None None


5 SPAN 201, 202, and 6 upper

division credit 14 Units

4 SPAN 201, 202, and 3 upper-division credits 11 Units

3 SPAN 201, 202 8 Units

2 Proficiency met at 16-unit level None

1 None None

2 If a student earns a grade of 5 in both the Spanish language exam and the Spanish literature exam, credit will be given for SPAN 201 and 202, 301a and 301b, and for 6 units of upper division literature credit for a total of 20 units. If a student earns a grade of 5 in the language examinatino and a 4 in the literature examination, credit will be given for SPAN 201 and 202, 301a and 301b, and for three units of upper division literature, for a total of 17 units.If a student earns a grade of 4 in both the Spanish language exam and the Spanish literature exam, credit will be given for SPAN 201 and 202, 301a, and 3 units of upper division Spanish literature, for a total of 14 units.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

(Updated November 3, 2003; added note to Foreign Language.)

The examinations offered under the CLEP were designed primarily to allow people who may not have been formal students for many years to achieve college-level credit for knowledge acquired through self-education and experience. By successful performance on CLEP examinations, many have been encouraged to pursue further a college or university education.

Additionally, these examinations are seen increasingly as of value to students formally engaged in degree programs, as a means of satisfying certain course or area requirements, or for earning extra course credits, without having to enroll formally in the courses. General and subject exams must be taken by UA students prior to the completion of 55 units. Transfer students must take general and subject exams before finishing 55 units or before completing two regular semesters at the University. Students should consult their academic advisers or the offices of their college deans for more information.

All CLEP examinations are available through the Testing Office at The University of Arizona. A limited list of CLEP examinations is available also through the testing centers at Arizona State University and Northern Arizona University. Resident students at The University of Arizona should contact the Testing Office for additional information.

The University of Arizona accepts for college credit both the General and the Subject examinations of the CLEP, providing satisfactory scores are attained. Scores of 500 or better on the General examinations will entitle the student, upon registration at the university, to 6 units of credit in each of the following General examinations: (1) English Composition; (2) Mathematics; (3) Natural Sciences; (4) Social Sciences-History; and to four units of credit for Humanities.

From 3 to 16 units of credit, depending upon the examination, may be earned by scores of 50 or better on most subject examinations (41 for College French, 40 for College German, and 41 for College Spanish). The number of units of credit earned is listed in parentheses following the corresponding test indicated below.

American Government (3)

American History I (Early Colonization to 1877)(3)
American History II (1865 to Present)(3)

American Literature (6)

Analysis & Interpretation of Literature (6)

Calculus w/Elementary Functions (5)

College Algebra (3)

College Algebra-Trigonometry (5)

College Composition (6)

Information Systems & Computer Applications (3)

Educational Psychology (3)

English Literature (6)

Foreign Language
Note: students enrolled in their first language class (102, 201, or 202) may take the CLEP exam to earn additional language credit, if the exam is taken before the end of the 7th week of the fall or spring semester.

College French I,II (8)

College German I, II (8 or 16)

College Spanish I, II (8 or 16)

Freshman English (6)

General Biology (8)

General Chemistry (6)

General Psychology (3)

Human Growth & Dev. (3)

Introduction to Business Law (3)

Introductory Macroeconomics (3)

Introductory Microeconomics (3)

Introductory Micro- and Macro-economics (3)

Introductory Marketing (3)

Introductory Sociology (3)

Trigonometry (2)

Western Civilization I (Ancient Near East to 1648) (3)

Western Civilization II (1648 to Present) (3)

Other examinations will be added as they become available.

Note: A maximum of 6 semester hours of general elective credit will be allowed for completion of one or more of the following: Subject Examination in College Composition, Subject Examination in freshman English, General Examination in English Composition. Whether this credit will satisfy the University Freshman English requirement is determined by the Director of Composition following interview and written performance.

CLEP credit in English, in composition or literature, may not be applied toward either an English major or minor.

For both prospective and currently enrolled students utilizing CLEP examinations, credit will not be awarded in subjects at the same level. In addition, resident students will not be awarded credit through CLEP for courses equivalent to, or at a lower level than, other courses they have already established in formal course work.

Passing scores for subjects credited through the CLEP are recorded simply as CR (credit), and may not necessarily be stated in terms of a specific course equivalent. No record is made of failing scores.

Exemption or Proficiency Examinations

A number of colleges and departments regularly offer exemption or proficiency examinations covering introductory or basic areas of their disciplines. These examinations are designed and graded by the individual departments. No credit is awarded on the basis of successful performance on these, but they allow a student two privileges: (a) the opportunity of enrolling in advanced-level courses in the area of proficiency; or (b) the opportunity of satisfying various college or departmental "area" or proficiency requirements without taking prescribed courses.

Proficiency or exemption examinations for many courses are available to any student currently enrolled in a degree program at the university. Capable students wishing to increase their elective freedom are encouraged by university policy to examine the opportunities provided through the various proficiency examinations.

At the discretion of the department, the proficiency examination may include laboratory projects or other evidence of satisfactory skills in addition to or instead of the written examination. A fee is normally charged for these examinations.

FOREIGN LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY EXAMINATIONS - It is possible for students to satisfy language requirements in whole or in part by passing a noncredit proficiency examination at the two- or four-semester level.

Foreign students will be allowed credit by transfer in their native language only for those courses taken during the years equivalent to the United States college years.

The completion of the course levels set in this paragraph satisfies the requirement: ARB 402; CHN 402 (Modern Chinese); FREN 202; GER 202; GRK 202; JUS 403b (Hebrew); ITAL 202; JPN 202 (Japanese); LAT 202; PRS 405b; PORT 206; RUSS 201a or 201b; SPAN 202, 206.

Passing the proficiency examination at the required level in a foreign language fulfills the language requirement in colleges requiring a foreign language. Passing a course for which the required level is prerequisite also establishes proficiency in that language. Credit may not be earned merely by passing the proficiency examination.

Procedures and General Regulations for Exemption or Proficiency Examinations

1. Proficiency or exemption examinations are available only to students enrolled in degree programs.

2. In no case does passing an exemption or proficiency examination lower the total number of units required for the bachelor's degree.

3. In normal circumstances, a student may not take a proficiency examination for the same course more than twice.

4. Proficiency or exemption examinations are normally given early in the semester or during summer orientation. The student must contact the appropriate department concerned for additional information and instructions.

5. Students wishing to sit for a proficiency or exemption examination in a language not normally taught must contact the Office of the Dean of Arts and Sciences for information.

6. The exemption or proficiency examinations are administered only on the University of Arizona campus.

7. The results of exemption or proficiency examinations, if successful, are reported in writing directly to the Office of the Registrar, with a copy to the student.

8. The student's academic record will be annotated with a statement indicating the student passed the proficiency examination at the appropriate level.

Special Examination for Credit or Grade

Any student currently enrolled or previously withdrawn in good standing at the University of Arizona may earn credit toward an undergraduate degree through the use of special examinations. The responsibility for preparatory study for these examinations rests entirely with the student; faculty members are under no obligation to assist with such preparation.

Special examinations are constructed and administered by the department concerned. They are designed to reflect and explore the scholastic equivalent of the course, and are more comprehensive than the usual "final exam." The examinations may be written or oral, or both, and they may include course projects, laboratory projects, written reports, or other evidence of proficiency.

Undergraduate courses currently offered by the University and designated in the catalog "CDT" may be taken for credit by examination. Courses designated "GRD" may be taken for grade by examination or credit by examination. Other courses generally have been excluded from this option; at department discretion, however, any course may be made available for grade by examination or credit by examination.


1. Special Examination for Credit: Passing grades, recorded as "CR" (credit), become a permanent part of the student's record but are not used in computing the cumulative grade average. Failing grades are not recorded.

2. Special Examination for Grade: All grades, whether passing or failing, are permanently recorded and used in computing the cumulative grade average.


1. The credit so earned may not duplicate units already presented for admission to the University, either collegiate or subcollegiate.

2. The credit may not be in a course which is equivalent to, or more elementary than, another course in which the student is enrolled or for which the student has already received credit. The head of the examining department has the responsibility of determining the application of this limitation in each student's case.

3. No credit may be earned by this type of examination for beginning or intermediate language courses in the native language of the applicant.


1. Applications for Special Examination for Credit or Special Examination for Grade may be obtained from the Registrar.

2. The application must be approved by the student's advisor.

3. The examining instructor and the head of the examining department must determine the eligibility of the applicant and sign the application.

4. The application is returned to the Registrar, and the $21-per-unit fee is paid to the University Cashier. No department may schedule a special examination until notified by the Cashier that the fee has been paid.

5. The examination is scheduled by the faculty member responsible, normally during the same semester in which the application is made.

6. The grade (CR or letter grade) is reported to the Registrar. The examination, together with the student's graded examination paper and any appropriate evaluations of oral performance or projects, is then filed with the department for at least one year.

7. The student may change the type of special examination for those courses designated "GRD" in the catalog any time before the scheduled hour of the examination by filing a new application. No additional fee will be charged.

GRADUATE CREDIT FOR SENIORS (Policy updated May 23, 2003: clarification on the use of 500-level courses toward the bachelor's and graduate degrees, and the use of graduate and professional transfer courses.)

A senior within 15 units of completing requirements for graduation may register for graduate work if recommended by the head of the department offering the course and approved by the Dean of the Graduate College. A petition for Undergraduate Enrollment in Graduate Courses must be filed with the Graduate College at the time of registration or within 10 days thereafter. The Dean of the Graduate College will not approve a petition unless the senior has a grade-point-average (GPA) of 3.000 or better on all University Credit and is proceeding toward graduation as directly as possible. Under such a petition, seniors may enroll in 500-level courses for undergraduate or graduate credit (not both). Courses numbered at the 600, 700, and 900 levels are not open to undergraduates.

Just as graduate University Credit may be applied toward a bachelor's degree (as upper division credit) or a graduate degree (as graduate credit), graduate or professional level credit earned and transferred from another institution may be applied toward a baccalaureate degree at the UA only if it is not used to complete a graduate or professional degree at that institution. Professional degrees include (but are not limited to) such programs as law and medicine. Students may petition the acceptance of graduate or professional credit by submitting a Transfer Credit Appeal, along with a letter from the graduate or professional college stating that the courses in question were not/are not being applied toward a graduate or professional degree at that institution.

Dental and veterinary students in the programs of microbiology and veterinary science, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, should also see, Special Conditions for DDS and DVM Candidates.

See the Graduation Services site for detailed instructions onExternal Link Undergraduate Enrollment in Graduate Courses, and contact your External Link Graduation Services advisor if you have questions.


Students are expected to be regular and punctual in class attendance. The University believes that students themselves are primarily responsible for attendance. Instructors will provide students with written statements of their policies with respect to absences. Excessive or extended absence from class is sufficient reason for the instructor to recommend that the student be administratively dropped from the course. For those courses in which enrollment is limited, missing the first class session may be interpreted as excessive absence. If this action is filed in the Registrar's Office by the end of the fourth week of classes, it will result in cancellation of registration in the course. If the student is administratively dropped after the end of the fourth week of classes, it will result in a failing grade being awarded in that course.

The student may notify the Office of the Dean of Students when an absence from class of one week or more is unavoidable. The office will maintain a file of such reports available to instructors upon request.


Integrity is expected of every student in all academic work. The guiding principle of academic integrity is that a student's submitted work must be the student's own. Students engaging in academic dishonesty diminish their education and bring discredit to the academic community. Students shall not violate the Code of Academic Integrity and shall avoid situations likely to compromise academic integrity. Students shall observe the provisions of the Code whether or not faculty members establish special rules of academic integrity for particular classes. Failure of faculty to prevent cheating does not excuse students from compliance with the Code.

Conduct prohibited by the Code consists of all forms of academic dishonesty, including, but not limited to: cheating, fabrication, facilitating academic dishonesty, and plagiarism as set out and defined in the Code of Conduct, modifying any academic work for the purpose of obtaining additional credit after such work has been submitted to the supervising faculty member unless the supervising faculty member approves such alterations; failure to observe rules of academic integrity established by a faculty member for a particular course; and attempting to commit any act prohibited by the Code. Any attempt to commit an act prohibited by these rules shall be subject to sanctions to the same extent as completed acts. The procedures for reviewing a suspected violation follow.

Faculty-Student Conference. The faculty member must confer with the student within 15 working days of his/her being informed of a suspected violation.

Appeal to Department Head. The student must appeal to the Department Head within ten working days of notification of the imposition of sanctions and recommendations for suspension or expulsion. The Department Head shall render a decision within 15 working days.

University Hearing Board. The student must appeal to the University Hearing Board within ten working days of notification that the Department Head has upheld the sanction or that the faculty member refuses to accept the Department Head's recommendation that sanction(s) be rescinded. The University Hearing Board shall convene within 30 working days of the time the student files the appeal.

For a more detailed outline of procedures, see the complete Code of Academic Integrity. Copies are available in the Dean of Students office.


Complete Withdrawal from the University

Policy revised 5/12/08:  To differentiate dropping a few courses from completely withdrawing.

A complete withdrawal from the University is defined as leaving the University by dropping all classes after having paid registration fees. This option only applies to the Fall and Spring (regular) Semesters.  During the regular semester, students are allowed seven days to complete the withdrawal process after initiating the procedure in the Dean of Students Office; however, withdrawals can not be initiated after the last day of classes of any semester and must be completed before the beginning of the final examination period. If a student withdraws from all classes before the end of the fourth week of the semester, all classes are deleted from the student's permanent record for the term.  If a student withdraws from the University after the fourth week of classes and before the final exam period, the faculty member for each course may assign a grade of “WP” (withdrawal while passing) or “WF” (withdrawal while failing).  Grades for a complete withdrawal appear on the permanent record but are not included in the student’s grade average. Consult the External LinkWithdrawal from the University section in the Schedule of Classes for detailed instructions, deadlines, and refund information.

Dismissal from Courses or from the University

Reprehensible conduct or failure to comply with university regulations may result in a student's dismissal from a course or from the University at any time. The Dean of Students Office is responsible for this procedure. Such action may be posted on the student's academic record. Students suspended from the University are denied student privileges during the period of suspension, and may not register for correspondence work except with permission of the dean of the college in which they have previously registered. They may not enroll in Extended University courses, nor establish credit by examination during the period of suspension.

Medical Withdrawal

Medical withdrawal is initiated from the Student Health Service. Adequate medical documentation must be supplied by the student. Students who withdraw from the University for medical reasons and who are medically encumbered must have their readmittances approved by the Student Health Service.

Retroactive Withdrawal

Under appropriate circumstances a student may petition for withdrawal after completion of classes for a term. If the student has experienced severe physical or psychological stress of such nature as to prevent satisfactory completion of course work in the semester or term in question, the student may petition for retroactive withdrawal for all courses taken that semester or term. This petition must be accompanied by adequate documentation and filed with the dean of the student's college.


Official University of Arizona transcripts are issued to other institutions, offices or agencies designated in writing by the student. (See "Transcript Fee" in Expenses and Fees section.)

General Graduation Requirement Information

Choice Of Catalog

Students maintaining continuous enrollment at any public Arizona community college or university may graduate according to the requirements of the catalog in effect at the time of initial enrollment or according to the requirements identified in any single catalog in effect during subsequent terms of continuous enrollment. This determination of continuous enrollment applies to students when they enroll at one of the public community colleges or universities in Arizona, as well as to students who transfer between public institutions in the state of Arizona.

1. A semester will be counted toward continuous enrollment when a student earns at least one credit hour. Summer terms/sessions are included in the determination of consecutive semesters for continuous enrollment. Enrollment in one or more summer terms/sessions is considered the equivalent of a semester for the purpose of this policy. Noncredit courses, audited courses,
or courses from which the student withdraws before completion do not count toward the determination of continuous enrollment for catalog choice purposes.

2. Students who fail to meet the minimum enrollment standard as defined in paragraph 1 during three or more consecutive semesters at any public Arizona community college or university are no longer considered continuously enrolled and must meet requirements of the public Arizona community college or university catalog in effect at the time they are readmitted or of a subsequent catalog after readmission while they remain continuously enrolled.

3. First-time students or noncontinuous students reapplying for admission to an Arizona public community college or university during a summer term must follow the requirements of the catalog in effect the following fall semester or any subsequent catalog as long as they are continuously enrolled.

4. Students transferring between the Arizona public higher education institutions are subject to the admission requirements of the receiving institution, must fulfill the residency requirements of the institution awarding the degree, and are responsible for completing all curricular and academic requirements of the degree-granting institution.

Time Limit For Obsolete Course Work

In areas of study in which the subject matter changes rapidly, material in courses taken long before graduation may become obsolete or irrelevant. Courses or degree requirements which are more than eight years old are applicable toward completion of a degree at the discretion of the student's major department. Accreditation may limit the applicability of courses or degree requirements to less than eight years. Departments may approve, disapprove, or request that the students revalidate the substance of such courses. Students whose programs include courses that will be more than 8 years old at the expected time of graduation should consult with their major department at the earliest possible time, to determine acceptability of such courses.

Graduation Average

(Policy update 1/29/08, clarifying grades to be included)

A graduation average of 2.000 for all University Credit course work undertaken and for any work satisfied by the Special Examination for Grade is required for the bachelor's degree. Note: The graduation grade average is based only on University Credit grades awarded prior to the graduation date, when all degree requirements have been satisfied.

Major Average

Majors for undergraduate degrees require an average of 2.000 or better for all University Credit work undertaken in the major field or for any work satisfied by the Special Examination for Grade if in the major.

University Credit Requirement

A minimum of 30 units of University Credit from The University of Arizona is required for the bachelor's degree. It is further required that 18 of the final 30 units offered toward the degree be University Credit. Various departments have specific University Credit requirements for their majors, and students should consult individual departmental information sections for this information. For a definition of University Credit, see "University Credit" under Academic Policies and Graduation Requirements elsewhere in this catalog

Upper-Division Unit Requirement

The University of Arizona recognizes both breadth and depth of knowledge as important characteristics of a baccalaureate degree. To insure depth of study beyond introductory levels, the University has a general policy requiring students to complete a minimum of 42 units of upper-division course work for graduation. This requirement applies to students graduating under the 1991-93 catalog or any subsequent catalog. The special requirements of some academic programs may necessitate an exception to this requirement. At the time of the printing of this catalog, some degree programs were in the process of requesting an exception to require fewer than 42 units of upper-division credit. For current information, students should consult their advisors, the department which offers their major, or the On Course! Academic Program Requirements Report for their major to determine if their degree program may require fewer than 42 units of upper-division credit.

Correspondence And Credit By Examination Credit Maximums

A maximum of 60 units toward a bachelor's degree may be earned through correspondence credit and/or credit by examination.

Application For Bachelor's Degree Candidacy

The University awards degrees three times annually: in May, in August and in December. Candidates for bachelor's degrees are required to file at the degree certification section of the Registrar's Office for degree candidacy according to the following schedule:

Application to be
Date of Degree filed no later than-

May May 1 of the
year preceding

August Aug. 1 of the
year preceding

December Dec. 1 of the
year preceding

Late applications will not be accepted after the last official day to register for credit for the semester or term immediately preceding the semester or term in which the degree is to be awarded.

Students must have taken the Upper-Division Writing-Proficiency Examination before the application for Bachelor's Degree Candidacy will be accepted.

For information regarding fees for filing an application for degree candidacy, see Expenses, Fees, Scholarships and Financial Aid.

Changes In Degree-Application Information

Once a degree application has been filed, applicants are required to notify the degree-certification section promptly of subsequent changes in the following information: (1) anticipated date of graduation; (2) degree, major, minor, catalog being used; (3) name, local address and telephone number, permanent address. Failure to do so may result in delay in awarding of the degree.

After the application has been filed, the applicant becomes responsible for completing all degree program require-ments by the last day of final exams in the
semester or term in which the degree is to be awarded. The applicant is also responsible for providing all documentation relating to the completion of his/her degree program to the Undergraduate Degree Certification Office within 30 calendar Units

Degree Required

College of Agriculture

Bachelor of Science in

Agriculture 130

Bachelor of Science in
Environmental Science 130

Bachelor of Science in Family
and Consumer Resources 130

Bachelor of Science in Renewable
Natural Resources 130

College of Architecture

Bachelor of Architecture 166

College of Arts and Sciences

Faculty of Fine Arts

Bachelor of Arts in Art 125

Bachelor of Arts in Media Arts 125

Bachelor of Arts in Music 128

Bachelor of Arts in Theatre Arts 125

Bachelor of Fine Arts 125

with major in Art Education 127

with a major in Dance 125

Bachelor of Music

with major in Performance
(Guitar) 130

with major in Performance
(Keyboard) 131

with major in Performance
(String Instrument) 130

with major in Performance
(Harp) 129

with major in Performance
(Voice) 130

with major in Performance
(Wind Instrument/
Percussion) 130

with major in Jazz Studies 128

with major in Music Education
(Choral) 132

with major in Music Education
(Instrumental) 133

with major in Composition 132

Faculty of Humanities

Bachelor of Arts 125

Faculty of Science

Bachelor of Arts 125

Bachelor of Science 125

Bachelor of Science in
Geosciences 131

Bachelor of Science in Speech
and Hearing Sciences 125

Faculty of Social and Behavioral Sciences

Bachelor of Arts 125

Bachelor of Science 125

College of Business and Public Administration


Degree Required
Bachelor of Science in Business
Administration 125

Bachelor of Science in Public
Administration 125

College of Education

Bachelor of Arts in Education 125

Bachelor of Science in Education 125

College of Engineering and Mines

Bachelor of Science in Aerospace
Engineering 133

Bachelor of Science in Agricultural
and Biosystems Engineering 134

Bachelor of Science in Chemical
Engineering 137

Bachelor of Science in Civil
Engineering 136

Bachelor of Science in Computer
Engineering 134

Bachelor of Science in Electrical
Engineering 130

Bachelor of Science in Engineering
Mathematics 131

Bachelor of Science in Engineering
Physics 131

Bachelor of Science in Geological
Engineering 133

Bachelor of Science in
Hydrology 136

Bachelor of Science in Industrial
Engineering 128

Bachelor of Science in Materials
Science and Engineering 127

Bachelor of Science in Mechanical
Engineering 134

Bachelor of Science in Mining
Engineering 131

Bachelor of Science in Nuclear
Engineering 129

Bachelor of Science in Optical
Engineering 136

Bachelor of Science in Systems
Engineering 128

School of Health-Related Professions

Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences

with major in Exercise Sciences 125

with major in Health Education 128

with major in Medical
Technology 129

with major in Occupational
Safety and Health 128

with major in Physical
Education 126

College of Nursing

Bachelor of Science in Nursing 129

days following the last day of final exams in the semester or term in which the degree is to be awarded. Documentation may include, but not be limited to, official transcripts from other educational institutions/programs, actions resulting from University General Petitions, Change of Grade forms (including removals of "I" grades), etc. Failure to meet these responsibilities may result in a delay or non-awarding of the degree.

Completion of Degree Requirements In Absentia

Degree candidates who find it necessary to leave The University of Arizona and complete final course requirements through correspondence or transfer work are required to notify the degree-certification section of such plans, before leaving the University.

Second Bachelor's Degree

Candidates for a second bachelor's degree at The University of Arizona must offer no fewer than 30 units in addition to the units required for the first degree, and must meet all requirements for the second degree. The additional units may be completed concurrently with those applying on the first degree; however, at least 30 units of University of Arizona credit must be completed for each

Averaging Of Grade For Final Non-University Credit Course

Students who lack not more than a one-semester course toward the fulfillment of curriculum and minimum-graduation-average requirements, may apply as the final course to complete the degree, a single one-semester course either in residence at another accredited institution or in correspondence work through The University of Arizona. Permission must be obtained from the academic dean, prior to enrolling for the course, to apply the grade received in such a course toward the graduation average. This provision may be applied also to the re-
quired separate average of 2.0000 in the major field if prior permission is obtained from the major professor and the academic dean.

Clearance Of Accounts

Degree candidates are required to clear any indebtedness to the University before completion of degree requirements will be officially certified or the diploma released.